-switch on mode

7 replies to this topic

#1 aisguard

aisguard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:37 PM

-SO has never worked correctly in LoD, it caused tons of bugs so we removed the mode entirely.

Mind sharing a few of those bugs?I dont remember encountering or seeing reported ones caused by the mode(aside from stryg's thirst,but thats a minor one imo).And how could a change of ones team affect skills at all.Switching seems like a simple and non-conflicting operation mechanic/code-wise to me(one without any knowledge regarding the processes behind the game,just expressing my assumptions).I would like to have -so mode available,theres way too much games that turn out 3v5,2v5 and sometimes its usefull for switching in an even game as well just to spice things up a bit.

#2 kuyz

kuyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:17 AM

A rare -so bug I encountered (6.79-6.82 versions? not sure) was that both sides have vision of players who were switched. I think the shared vision disappears when both players switch back.

#3 DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 526 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:25 AM

switching players doesn't affect it's inner ID. blue (1) will still be 1 even if swapped with player 10. that means if we want to opt heavy operations like grouping heroes we cant follow simple rules "heroes from players 1-5 and 6-10", but have to group everything and split it up with additional conditions (enemy, hero, etc). it may be negliglible in terms of one-time-go operations like skills, but anything durable enough will fuck up low PC.

frogo refused to support so long ago and don't care about any bugs related.

in order to improve lodo's perfomance it has to be done.

good side: faster, less time to develop

neutral side: no more fucking with dead (2x5 or so) game (many may argue here, my point is - better start another game, less time will be lost)

bad side: most people got addicted to it.

some time ago ive found possible workaround, but heavily loaded for a while and won't bother of it right now

Remember that English isnt my first language. I have really tough time speaking it, tho can read freely.

#4 vHAPpY

vHAPpY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

:(

#5 sm0ke

sm0ke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

Does it seems that -so and -switch will be removed in next versions?

#6 ResQ

ResQ

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

No, why? Don't use it if you're not prepared for bugs. It was only introduced so bugs can be found, but it's really not a priority to fix switch bugs at the moment.

Don't use it if you aren't ok with encountering bugs, do use it if you're ok with encountering bugs and would like to help the development of the map - but don't expect those switch bugs fixed soon, there's just more important stuff that needs fixing/balancing/porting.

#7 sm0ke

sm0ke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

switching players doesn't affect it's inner ID. blue (1) will still be 1 even if swapped with player 10. that means if we want to opt heavy operations like grouping heroes we cant follow simple rules "heroes from players 1-5 and 6-10", but have to group everything and split it up with additional conditions (enemy, hero, etc). it may be negliglible in terms of one-time-go operations like skills, but anything durable enough will fuck up low PC.

frogo refused to support so long ago and don't care about any bugs related.

in order to improve lodo's perfomance it has to be done.

good side: faster, less time to develop

neutral side: no more fucking with dead (2x5 or so) game (many may argue here, my point is - better start another game, less time will be lost)

bad side: most people got addicted to it.

some time ago ive found possible workaround, but heavily loaded for a while and won't bother of it right now

I think that easy solution can be found.
Add array to map of player id's

~ player id:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A
~ map id:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A

~~ After -switch from 1 to 10 we swap values of map[]
~ player id:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A
~ map id:
A 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1

~ So get map_id is simple:
map_id = map[ player_id ];

#8 Whiteboard

Whiteboard

Ancient Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:33 AM

I agree with dracolich and Resq strongly on this matter.

Switching players to the other team is mostly intended as a compensator for less ideal games where people played without enough intrest.
- More or less half assed games.

And in turn due to playerslot coding frankly put. Alot of playerfocus skills and abilities (and miscellaneous stuff like lost items etc) simply just fucks up with this.

The addiction factor mentioned above is that people simply go into a frenzy paced state of mind to keep the flame burning, those who still do as others drop out.
In turn causing less controlled and wise decisions made while switching.

In my experience, it's most common that the strongest player swaps over to the other team.
- When that happens, he starts snowballing on the other players too.
And it becomes a denial stage where people ping-pong players constantly without thinking at all. They idly minded accept the switch proposal.

Causing shit games in short.

Shit games where one player dominates both teams.

Best action would be to simply make a wise switch decision permanently for the rest of the game or accept defeat.

All games cant be winners after all.

With that said, switch mode should have the least possible priority from the developers.
And as mentioned before: used with caution above comfort to keep games going.

- Sincerely, Whiteboard.

GG humanity, as always.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users